Responsibilities and duties:
Transcribe, translate, and interpret effectively from and to Somali/Arabic and English in various forums from conferences, meetings, interviews and various forms written documentation. Meet the quality standards of the end user in effective interpretation, translation, and transcription.
- Interpretation: provide simultaneous or consecutive interpretation of meetings, interviews, conferences, training, or other forums. Specifically, (1) comprehend both Somali/Arabic and English as spoken and written, (2) speak all of these languages, (3) choose an expression in Somali/Arabic that fully conveys and best matches the meaning in English, (4) have familiarity with the cultural context of all three languages, (5) have knowledge of terminology in specialized fields, (6) observe protocols applicable to different settings, and (7) master the modes applicable to these settings.
- Translation: provide written translations of source texts in one language into another language, as identified above, with the meaning and intent of the original text. Specifically, (1) read and comprehend Somali/Arabic, (2) write comprehensibly in English, and (3) choose the equivalent expression in Somali/Arabic that both fully conveys and best matches the meaning intended in English (referred to as congruity judgment).
- Transcription: provide written translations of aural, videotape, and/or other sources from one language into another language, with the meaning and intent of the original source preserved. Specifically, (1) listen or view the material and comprehend the Somali/Arabic language, (2) write comprehensibly in English, and (3) choose the equivalent expression in the Somali/Arabic that both fully conveys and best matches the meaning intended in the source language.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Meet and maintain prerequisite language skills.
- Must pass language skills test in Somali/Arabic and English.
- Meet the ILR rating associated to the linguist’s category for read, write, listening, and speaking. Annually verified.
- Somali/Arabic and English proficiency 3/3
- Must hold active TS/SCI or have an active SECRET with eligibility for an upgrade to TS/SCI
- Willingness to live and work long hours in harsh environments.
- Ability to properly conduct oneself in accordance with local culture and customs, as well as the ability to deal unobtrusively with local populace.
- Conduct consecutive and accurate translation, transcription, and interpretation services of on-going conversations and intelligence collection activities into, from and between Somali/Arabic and English.
- Provide accurate idiomatic translations of non-technical material using correct syntax and expression from English to Somali/Arabic or vice versa, as well as the linguist ability to interpret/translate using colloquial and slang words and phrases.
- Accurately provide the cultural and ethnic context of translations and interpretations and provide advice to the user on the cultural and ethnic significance of statements, conversations, situations, documents, etc.
- Accurately perform document exploitation (scan, research, and analyze foreign language documents for intelligence information).
- Supplement interpretations and translations with information pertinent and specific to professional fields such as medicine, scientific, engineering, legal, etc. Identify and extract information components meeting military information requirement list criteria.
- Successfully meet medical deployment requirements to travel and work in assigned location.
* Federal requirements mandate that all applicants for this position must be U.S. citizens.
* Priority will be given to applicants with active security clearances.
Torden offers medical, dental, vision, life insurance and paid time off;
Who we are:
Torden LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a VA-certified Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business. We conduct business in an open, informal, and international working atmosphere. We pride ourselves in providing an environment that encourages professional and personal development and an opportunity for growth.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team with a mission to serve? We are always on the lookout for motivated, qualified people who have a mindset of serving and embrace our values. Do you have what it takes?
If so, click the link below. Complete your application. Save it and email it to email@example.com.