Location: Tysons Corner, Virginia
Responsibilities and duties:
- Provide translation or transcriptions services to include the translation of written, electronic and multi-media material to and from English and Mandarin.
- Materials include, but are not limited to: business, legal, medical, and technical documents, software, website localization for Internet and intranet, video subtitling and captioning.
- Services include, but are not limited to: formatting, proofreading, editing, graphic design, and desktop publishing.
- Provide interpretation services
- Interpretation includes, but is not limited to, consecutive, escort, telephonic, and voice-overs.
- Interpreter forums may include meetings, conferences, seminars, briefings, training, military operations, law enforcement, intelligence and operations support.
- Assist in the quality control of linguist production services:
- Conduct periodic reviews and evaluations of translated documents
- Provide comments, corrections and recommendations for translated material
- Delegate tasks according to a linguist knowledge and abilities
- Clarify expectations of tasks for supported linguists
- Communicate effectively and readily sharing knowledge with others
- Develop appropriate training aids for continuous output improvement
- Identify training opportunities and requirements
- Identify needed resources to improve operation capabilities
- Act as an NTS and NMEC representative at training opportunities, IC forums, and Linguist/translation Working Groups
Skills and Qualifications:
Senior linguists must possess advanced language skills (both English and a Mandarin), educational experience, military experiences, and cultural knowledge.
- Meet and maintain prerequisite language skills.
- Must pass language skills test in Mandarin and English.
- Meet the ILR rating associated to the linguist’s category for read, write, listening, and speaking. Annually verified.
- CAT III Mandarin 3+ reading and listening and 4 in English under the DLPT format.
- CAT III: must hold active TS/SCI or have an active SECRET with eligibility for an upgrade to TS/SCI
- Possess a strong sensitivity to sociolinguistic and cultural references, as well as be a well-educated native listener and speaker.
- Read all styles and forms whether printed or in reasonably legible handwriting.
- Read between the lines, follow unpredictable turns of through and offer reasoned analysis.
- Write a variety of prose styles about varied topics with rare errors.
- Tailor language to fit an audience, persuade, debate and represent a point of view.
- Conduct consecutive and accurate translation, transcription, and interpretation services of on-going conversations and intelligence collection activities into, from and between the SCRL(s) and English.
- Provide accurate idiomatic translations of non-technical material using correct syntax and expression from English to the SCRL(s) or vice versa, as well as the linguist ability to interpret/translate using colloquial and slang words and phrases.
- Accurately provide the cultural and ethnic context of translations and interpretations and provide advice to the user on the cultural and ethnic significance of statements, conversations, situations, documents, etc.
- Supplement interpretations and translations with information pertinent and specific to professional fields such as medicine, scientific, engineering, legal, etc. Identify and extract information components meeting military information requirement list criteria.
We offer medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and paid time off benefits.
Who we are:
Torden LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a VA-certified Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business. We conduct business in an open, informal, and international working atmosphere. We pride ourselves in providing an environment that encourages professional and personal development and an opportunity for growth.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team with a mission to serve? We are always on the lookout for motivated, qualified people who have a mindset of serving and embrace our values. Do you have what it takes?
Email your resume and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.